Is it really February? A month into the New Year and resolutions are out the door with the garbage! You had it perfectly planned; your resolve was solid and your commitment unwavering….short term goal was 10 pounds…yes, by February! Why not? You’ve done it before in your 20’s…..2017 was going to be the year you do you and just how Stella got her groove back…you would get yours back as well!
….and then came a long day at work, you forgot to eat lunch and cheated at dinner by eating half the fridge…but its OK because you didn’t eat all day, so you’re bound to lose weight anyway.
Next came your five year olds birthday party….C’mon, you can’t miss this momentous celebration. I mean, who doesn’t eat cake at a birthday party. You only turn five once….never mind it wasn’t you turning five!
Well, since you cheated the other day with dinner and you followed it up with the birthday cake you might as well take off the weekend and reset Monday! Yes, that’s the right way!
Monday came…you forgot to shop for healthy options over the weekend so there is nothing “diety” in your fridge…no problem…what’s one more day? You’ll shop tomorrow….but today, Pizza it is!
Tomorrow…terrible day! Problems at work, didn’t get home til late…forgot to eat lunch again so starving no healthy options to eat…you didn’t gain it in a day, you’re not going to lose it in a day!
Does this sound like you? Stuck in a perpetual Groundhog’s day with a weight loss goal in mind but finding every excuse in the book not to get back? Don’t feel bad, most of us can relate! Been there, done that! 3 kids, 2 jobs and a busy lifestyle can provide a handy excuse not to take care of yourself. Before you know it, you are 80 pounds heavier than you should be, don’t know how you got there and no matter what self efforts you try, you can’t seem to lose them. It’s a very common scenario that we see a Bellavista Medi Spa, and through our experience we have identified some misconceptions and reasons why people fall into this weight loss rollercoaster.
- You think that by not eating during the day, but raiding the refrigerator at night keeps your food intake low.
- You did it before a long, long time ago and lost tons of weight on your own.
- You are the strongest person you know, so sticking to diet is no sweat! After all, you once lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks with the “watermelon” diet.
- You are just going to buy a supplement that you saw on TV, drink more water and the weight is going to melt away…after all, your friend from work did it that way.
- Lastly, being super mom or super dad, the best employee at work, all things to everyone is more important than losing a few pounds…there is always next month or next year.
Wrong! Although you may try to reconcile these thoughts, patterns and behaviors into being the culprit for not losing weight the cause is really you! We are not here to beat you up, but just to let you know that some of things you do are self sabotaging. For example:
- Not eating all day and binging at night causes your metabolism to slow down to preservation mode during the day…you ability to burn calories is reduced dramatically; not to mention that when people binge, they tend not to measure what they are eating and often times over compensating in calories.
- A long, long time ago, when you were 22…your metabolism was quick. Since then, you’ve might have had some children, surgeries, menopause that inevitably lower your metabolic rate…happens to all of us. That means we have to work even harder to lose weight.
- Though you may have lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks just eating watermelon, you gained it right back! First of all, funky diets are not the best nutritionally and second 2 weeks is not enough to change your behavior. Four weeks is not enough to modify your behavior either. It takes 2-3 months of you changing a “habit” or the way you eat to make it comfortable and a routine. It takes 6 months to a year to make it permanent. Weight loss is about hardwiring a particular behavior to your brain, so that once you learn what to eat, you continue good eating habits.
- Supplements are just that..they supplement! They are not magic but merely an aid to weight loss…intake versus output is what helps you lose the weight.
- We all want a sense of purpose in life, a reason to live like family and job satisfaction but if you don’t take care of yourself you are neither going to be able to take care of your family or do your job because illness related to obesity like diabetes and heart disease are likely to plague you.
All is not doom and gloom though! There are many ways to become healthy and lose weight…you just have to pick one and stick to it. Sounds so simple right? If you are used to eating bad for decades, then its not so easy…plus sometimes, there are medical conditions that need to be taken into consideration and should be followed by a physician.
Medical weight loss programs are by far one of the most successful and safe ways to lose weight. At Bellavista Medical Spa in Tampa, Fl, we take pride in our weight loss success rate and the individual care and attention we provide to our patients. We combine a customized menu plan, appetite suppressants to aid you in sticking to the plan and reducing your portions, weekly vitamin B12 injections and weekly weigh-ins to help you form that new habit of healthy eating and make it permanent. Schedule your complimentary body fat analysis at Bellavista Medical Spa by calling 813-751-3444 or check out our website at www.bellavistamedical spa.com. After all, you have nothing to lose but the weight!